Sunday, June 13, 2010

Last Big Run Before Munich

Today was my last really long run before the half-marathon on the 27th. It was one hour going out and 57 minutes coming back. I went a little faster than I intended and will probably pay for it tomorrow. But I didn't really feel like I was pushing myself. At least I made it a point to start off slowly. There was even enough energy for a closing sprint for the last 200 meters. 

The training for this run reminds me a lot of when I trained for my first half-marathon back in 1991.  Overall it has gone extremely well. I still follow the program that my late running partner Bill used with me almost 20 years ago. It works for me, so I stick with it. I don't like a lot of the new long distance training programs which take a runner "From Zero to Marathon in 12 Weeks."  First of all, they build the mileage too quickly. I have tendinitis in my knees. Those programs would aggravate my tendinitis in no time. As long as I build my mileage slowly, my knees don't bother me at all. They also don't have enough long runs in them. A typical quickie half-marathon program will only have 1-2 runs in the 10-mile (16 km) range. Short marathon programs only have one 20-miler (32 km). I believe that a runner needs a lot of long runs to prepare the body for the rigors of a long race. For my upcoming race I had at least 5 runs in the 15-16 km range and 3 between 19 and 21 km. Because I do so many longer runs, I know that I'll be able to handle the distance and the time on my feet. I may not get a PR at my age, but I know that I'll finish without any problems. 

Next week's long run will be either for 1:30 or 1:20. I'll do 1:30 if I decide to do the flatter course that I've been running on for the past three weeks. If I decide to run in the hills for a change of pace, I'll go for 1:20. When I wake up next Sunday I'll see how I feel and decide then. I can't believe that race day is almost here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment